Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Perception

I Stephen Butler believe that socrates had the right idea- It can be hard but if you can see the position of both sides of an issue then Objective Perception is possible! Gorgias asserted that objective perception is impossible. Socrates agreed that it is highly unlikely, but claimed that through knowledge of the self, through knowing where we individually are the most likely to distort data, we can come ever closer to perceiving the truth.

The world is a crazy place these days and it seems that Republicans and Democrats have totaly different views about the war in Iraq. Those who support President Bush like myself on the issue of sending more troops to "FINISH" the job, but there are also people who totaly disagree and say that we should pull out. Thes people should know that this would be the biggest mistake in American history, because leaving an unstable Middle East is leaving an unstable world!!!!!!

I see myself as an easygoing guy and try not to judge people, especially on first impressions. I myself try to see the good in people before I make a final judgement. In todays society it is getting harder, especially with Muslum stereotypes.

Today anytime I go to the airport and fly to New York, I look around for men dressed in Muslum attire. I believe that all the CNN that I watch contributes to this fear. For example I was watching a special on 20/20 about the Air Marshall Program in witch one of the criterias for them is to identify themselves before each flight. In my opinion that is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. Hopfully 9/11 will never happen again!!!

We are always fearfull of the unknown. What we can't understand for ourselves makes us prejudice in out judgment!

No comments: