Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Human Rights v. Majority Rule

I could probably be one of those people who is considered "riding the fence." Am I or am I not against abolishing discriminations in the work place based on a sexual preference? There are so many factors when making that claim. My thoughts are based on moral and social philosophy and that is why it is hard for me to say Yeah or Neh. The political aspect does not really play a role in this decision for me.


Morally, I feel that it is wrong to be gay. Some claim that people are born with the gay genes while some others are stating that it is a choice that people make. Everyone has their own attraction whether it is race, body build, gender or even as simple of hair color. I have chosen my preference. I have asked a close friend of mine, who happens to be gay, for his opinions on other couples that are straight. He cannot understand how we think our attractions are the only ones to have. My parents’ moral values were one of the reasons that has given me my opinion. I was raised with the thought that being gay was not acceptable. My church was an influence, also. The church never spoke of gays. It was one of those subjects that was never spoken of but everyone knew. Although morally, I think that being hay is wrong, I also know that this is only my opinion and preference.


Socially, I do not feel that gays should be discriminated when in the workforce. If people abided by the rules of most employers, conversations of personal lifestyles should not be brought in to work. Whether my examples include talking about what happened last night at home, what you are cooking of dinner or if you are gay. We should all be professionals in our careers. If you are or if you are not gay should not be a part of conversations. It reminds me of the saying "don’t ask, don’t tell." In my opinion, it should say "Just don’t ask."


I have asked myself how I would feel and react if a child of mine had a gay teacher and to be honest, I would have questions. Only my questions would be the same no matter who my child’s teacher was. I would want to know their credentials, how they perform in class, and if my child is getting a valuable education and such. When I first began this paper, I said that I was unsure of my decision but after thinking and rethinking my ideas, I have persuaded myself to be in favor of abolishing discrimination based on sexual preference in the workforce. Being gay in the in your chosen profession should not influence a negative opinion. If anything, it should be an example of how our country is slowly but surly doing away with diversity.

2 comments:

jesses20 said...

Pass. You made it above 350 words and you stayed on topic very well and used good example. I did notice some gramm. errors tho

GRLucas said...

Pass. Only one space between paragraphs. You also forgot your link.